Everyone recognizes that plastic surgery has esthetic advantages. However, even though most people think of the health effects of plastic surgery as a possibility, plastic surgery can also have a variety of health benefits for patients. Patients also opt to undergo cosmetic surgery for the sake of their wellbeing but make esthetic changes when under the knife. Some patients also have different cosmetic procedures conducted at the same time as their functional procedures.
- The health benefits of rhinoplasty: Rhinoplasty can enhance the appearance of the nose, but it can also eliminate obstructions in the nasal cavity that hinder breathing, such as those caused by a deviated septum. Since eliminating these forms of obstructions improves ventilation, it can significantly enhance the patient’s ability to exercise and also enhance the patient’s ability to sleep, as well as the quality of sleep. This is especially true for patients who suffer from narcolepsy. Rhinoplasty primarily for the fixing of breathing obstructions is referred to as functional rhinoplasty.
- The health benefits of breast surgery: While breast enlargement is more well known, breast reduction can provide relief for back, neck, shoulder, and even head pain caused by large, heavy breasts. Breast reduction also helps many women to participate in more rigorous or in-depth fitness regimens by removing weight and removing excess breast tissue from some workouts. This also encourages women who have exercised and lost the extra weight, which poses health risks, to lose even more weight.
- The health benefits of gynecomastia treatment surgery: Gynecomastia refers to the enlargement of the male breasts. Although the breasts of men are not normally big enough to cause discomfort like the breasts of women can, the swollen breasts can give a feminizing appearance, cause skin irritation, and harm the self-esteem of the patient. Removing excess breast tissue can reverse these problems and make men feel more comfortable exercising, particularly when not wearing a shirt.
- The health benefits of excess skin removal: While weight loss has many positive effects on the health of an individual, it may leave excess skin that poses health risks on its own. This excess skin cause folds to the body, particularly to the abdomen. These folds can lead to rashes and infection. The most common excess skin removal procedure is a tummy tuck, but excess skin can be removed from almost anywhere in the body. Excess skin removal surgery will help both patients gain weight loss benefits and reduce damage to their well-being from excess skin.
- The health benefits of eyelid surgery: Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is typically a cosmetic operation, but upper lid surgery can also be functional in older patients and anyone else who has a sagging or drooping upper lid to the degree that vision is affected.
Plastic surgery and self-esteem
Not all plastic surgery procedures have clear physical health benefits, but both plastic surgery and other cosmetic procedures can boost the self-esteem of the patient, which can help both the mental and physical health of the patient. People with high self-esteem are less likely to have eating disorders and other mental health issues, have more reasonable expectations of themselves, and others, are more comfortable to express themselves, and are more likely to build healthy relationships. They are less likely to be in abusive or otherwise unhealthful relationships. Patients with high self-esteem will also be more likely to have a proper fitness routine and make other healthy decisions about their wellbeing.