The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS) strongly advises that you do your research well before traveling for cosmetic surgery. To reduce risks and remain safe, experts recommend that you obtain all the necessary details about the operation, recovery, and costs before continuing. When traveling for cosmetic surgery abroad, take extra care to ensure a healthy experience. Here are a few key points to note:
- Choose an accredited plastic surgery practice: If you are going out of town for plastic surgery, make sure your procedure is performed in a hospital or an outpatient surgery center that is accredited by one of the recognized national certifying agencies such as the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF), Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Institute for Medical Quality, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organization, State-licensed or Medicare-certified. This is also a crucial factor for those searching for a healthy and successful body contouring procedure in their hometown.
- Make sure that your plastic surgeon is qualified and experienced: Just as the choice of certified plastic surgery practice is vital, it is equally important to choose a trained plastic surgeon who is skilled in the procedure you are considering. Find out if the plastic surgeon is from a center that is certified by one of the recognized national certification agencies. Membership in such a group means that the surgeon is extremely well educated and well prepared for the operation. The surgeon you select should be able to explain to you the advantages and risks of surgery, including possible complications. This will help you make an informed decision.
- Operating room safety and sanitation standards: When traveling to Turkey for cosmetic surgery, make sure that your plastic surgery center meets all safety standards. This is very critical since some countries offering cheap cosmetic surgery may not have experienced surgeons or may lack clean rooms, staff qualifications for emergency preparedness. This will place you at greater risk of illness, bad cosmetic effects, and other complications. Make sure that the location you stay in after the operation also has the facilities you need to recover safely from post-op.
- Travel time: Flying or driving for long hours is not advised after a plastic surgery operation. It can create risks. For example, a person who has undergone an out-of-town Brazilian butt surgery cannot travel long hours on a plane or drive for too long as the effects of the surgery are affected. The best option for the patient would be staying in town for at least a week to ten days after the Brazilian Butt Surgery, depending on the length of their flight (domestic vs. international). According to a Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgery report, the ASPS recommends postponing travel for five to seven days after plastic surgery procedures involving the body (such as liposuction and breast augmentation) and up to ten days for facial plastic surgery (including facelift, eyelid surgery, rhinoplasty, and certain laser treatments. So, if you’re preparing to travel for a procedure, plan ahead as to where you’re going to stay, make sure you’re booked for an appropriate number of days at the venue, and most importantly if the facility is equipped to accommodate your post-operative needs.
- Consider the possibility of complications and follow-up care: Even if the operation is done under careful supervision, complications are a possibility, and it will be a big concern if they happen when you get home. In the case of an operation with a higher chance of complications, it would be best to stay at the place where you had the procedure until you recover as it is not possible to fly back. On the other hand, if there is a problem when you return, you will have to be prepared to pay for a secondary or revision treatment in your hometown.
- Language barriers: Good communication is essential to improve the surgical experience and make informed decisions. People traveling to Turkey for cosmetic procedures could face language barriers that could pose a danger. Even if you find a competent plastic surgeon overseas, but they and their staff are unable to interact with you, your goals and aftercare can lead to major mishaps. So, consult directly with the surgeon before you make a decision and assess your trust in the surgeon.
If you also considering operation in Turkey, please contact us. MAYCLINIK family always here to help you.