After losing a lot of weight, after a pregnancy or due to genetics, the skin around the abdominal area can become loose and drop due to the loss of elasticity. As a consequence, this can cause confidence problems, but it can be overcome by performing a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. A tummy tuck is also known as abdominoplasty, a procedure that involves removing excess skin from the abdominal region of the body and then flattening and tightening it. In this blog post, we’re going to cover 7 details about the tummy tuck as well as the various types of tummy tucks available.
- There are different types of tummy tucks: Various forms of tummy tucks can be done based on the amount of excess skin and fat required to be removed from the treatment area:
– Full tummy tuck: This is the typical tummy tuck ideal for patients who need a lot of skin and fat to get rid of. This operation not only removes excess skin and fat but can also repair torn muscles in the affected region.
– Extended tummy tuck: This procedure is recommended for patients who wish to remove excess fat and skin from their lower back, flanks, or upper hip regions. If necessary, this technique can also repair torn muscles.
– Mini tummy tuck: This type of tummy tuck is indicated for patients who have a small amount of excess skin on the area between the belly button and the pubic region and the skin has a wrinkled appearance. This procedure tightens the area and if necessary, repairs are torn muscles.
- The scar is going to fade away: A lot of patients are worried about the scar after their tummy tuck. The scar resulting from a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty fades away with time, usually takes about a year to fade. Your surgeon will also prescribe some creams to further reduce the visibility and redness of the scar.
- The recovery will take a few weeks: The downtime needed after a tummy tuck procedure is approximately three weeks. After the operation, you would need to stay overnight in the hospital to make sure there are no complications. When you have been discharged from the hospital to keep the abdominal region straight, you will need to wear an abdominal support garment for two weeks, and you will be advised to take painkillers to alleviate any pain.
- It is not a weight loss procedure: Tummy tucks are a procedure to remove excess skin after losing a lot of weight, after birth, or due to aging to create a flatter and firmer belly. Before you undergo abdominoplasty or tummy tuck, we suggest that you maintain your ideal weight, as any weight changes will affect the results and will require additional surgery to correct the results. If you’re thinking about getting pregnant after a tummy tuck, you need to be aware that your skin may stretch again and that you will need revision surgery to recover from the loss of results.
- Men undergo tummy tucks too: Tummy tucks are a common procedure among women due to pregnancy, but many men undergo this procedure to remove excess skin after losing a significant amount of weight and restoring broken muscles.
- A tummy tuck can remove love handles: Standard tummy tucks do not target the love handles; however, the extended tummy tuck will remove the fat around the area. If you’re trying to only remove the fat and you don’t have excess skin, VaserLipo or liposuction would be a better option.
- Recovery of a tummy tuck: Recovery from the tummy tuck or abdominoplasty takes about 3 weeks. Since having a tummy tuck operation, you should expect the following aftercare:
- Wear your garment for 2 weeks.
- Take antibiotics and pain killers for 2 weeks after the operation.
- Swelling in the treatment area. We suggest the use of a cold compress to minimize swelling. Often consult the doctor before doing so to ensure that there is no difficulty in doing so.
Always follow your doctor’s advice on aftercare and ensure that you attend follow-up appointments.
To have Tummy Tuck with our board-certified surgeon contact us! MAYCLINIK family always here to help you.